- Rental Process
- Rental Requirements
- All About Insurance
- Insurance Packages
- Credit Card Coverage
- Bandago CDW
- Customer Parking
- Vehicle Maintenance
- In-van Entertainment
- Repair Policies
- 24/7 Tow Service
- Spare Tire
- Breakdown policy
- Remote Travel
- Prohibited Use
- Our Liability
- Trailer Policy
- Toll Transponders
- Payment Policy
- Cancellation Policy
- Driving Tips
- Accident Policy
- Delivery Service
Bandago Rental Policies
All About Insurance
Credit Card Coverage
24/7 Tow Service
- Bring drivers licenses and proof of insurance for all drivers when you pick up your vehicle.
- Have fun, drive safe.
- Return the vehicle reasonably clean and with a full tank of gas.
Anybody who plans on driving our vehicle must meet the following requirements:
- Valid driver's license (or International Driver License along with your Passport).
- Proof of auto liability insurance* (Either your own policy, or purchased through us).
- Some form of collision coverage (either through your own insurance policy, through credit card coverage, or by purchasing our Collision Damage Waiver).
- Your credit card. If the cardholder will not be present at pickup we need a signed credit card authorization agreement and a copy of the cardholder's driver's license.
- You must be over 25 years of age with three years of driving experience to drive our vehicle unless you have our prior written authorization.
- You must be fit to drive. We will not give you the keys if, in our judgement, you are inebriated, incapacitated, or otherwise incapable of driving our vehicle safely.
*Please note: We are happy to scan copies of these documents upon your arrival, but if you want to save a little time please bring a copy with you. You may also fax the information to our office (at least 24 hours in advance), or email them to us. Our fax number is 415-401-7659 and our email is [email protected]. Please make sure you include your reservation number, the name of the group and the dates of the rental when sending us documents, as we receive a lot of documents, and won't know which rental it is for without this information.
We get asked a lot of questions about insurance, so we have compiled this information for you. If you want a simple explainer we recommend checking out this slide show here: Insurance Explainer.
There are two kinds of insurance you need to have in place in order to work with us:
- Liability insurance
This covers any damage or injuries you may cause to someone else due to your fault or negligence. For instance if you go through a red light and hit someone, liability insurance will cover the damages to the other persons car, as well as any injuries they may have. Liability insurance does NOT cover damage to your vehicle. If you do not have liability insurance please read this section.
- Collision Insurance
Collision insurance covers collision damage to your vehicle (in this case the rented vehicle), regardless of who is at fault. So whether someone did a hit and run and dented your door in the parking lot while you were shopping for groceries, or you backed up into a telephone pole, either way collision insurance will cover you.
If you have both liability AND collision from a single insurance company it's called "Comprehensive Insurance". Most comprehensive auto insurance policies will cover damage to rented vehicles, but you should always check with your carrier if you are not sure.
Bandago sells the following forms of coverage
- Collision Damage Waiver (CDW)
A CDW covers damage to just the rental vehicle, regardless of who is at fault. It may duplicate coverage you already have with your own insurance or credit card, but on the other hand even if you have insurance it can protect you from your premiums going up in the event of a claim. It also covers loss-of-use which many policies do not provide coverage for. Some credit cards offer (or claim to offer) collision coverage, but we recommend you read the section below before using your credit card for collision coverage. Bandago's CDW has a $2,500 deductible.
- Renter's Liability Protection (RLP)
Renters Liability Protection provides primary liability coverage to the renter, ensuring that the renter is covered for third-party liability claims to the state statutory limits. (Musicians please see note below)
- Supplemental Liability Insurance (SLI)
Supplemental Liability Insurance is an optional coverage that protects the renter against third party liability claims as a result of an accident while the rentee was operating the rental auto. SLI provides excess coverage over the underlying insurance/or self insured statutory limits required in the executed and signed rental agreement. SLI DOES NOT PROVIDE PRIMARY LIABILITY COVERAGE TO THE RENTER. SLI covers the difference up to $1,000,000 in excess of the limits of liability provided by all underlying insurance available or statutory limits.
- Personal Accident Insurance (PAI)
Personal Accident Insurance provides coverage in the event of an extreme accident. It provides coverage due to accidental death (up to $250,000), ambulance fees and other medical expenses (up to $2,500), and also covers your personal items against damage or theft (please note there are exclusions for non-personal items like electronic and music equipment)
Musicians and other commercial-use renters: It is important to note that any vehicle you are driving while conducting business (including rentals of tour vehicles) may not be covered under your existing personal auto liability policy. As a business you are engaged in commercial use, and if there is a significant claim your personal insurance policy may decline coverage due to this commercial use. (see this article for more information). For this reason we STRONGLY urge all of our professional clients to secure commercial grade liability insurance. If you are a touring musician and do not currently have commercial grade insurance we have a possible solution for you: BandCrew.
Some credit cards offer collision coverage for rental cars. Before relying on your credit card for coverage make sure it provides the coverage you need:
- Credit cards do NOT provide liability coverage (damage to other people and property besides yourself and Bandago). If they provide anything at all, it will be collision coverage only. We are aware of only one credit card that provides liability coverage.
- Not all credit cards are the same. Read this article to learn about the differences between different cards.
- Some cards charge extra in order to activate collision coverage. Some cards do not provide collision coverage at all. You need to call your credit card company to find out.
- Some programs specifically exclude passenger vans.
- Many credit card companies have specific exclusions for business use (like going on tour). Read the exclusions carefully.
- Most credit card collision coverage is secondary, which means they will only pay after your own auto liability insurance carrier has maxed out.
- Only a few cards will cover loss-of-use, or administrative fees. You will still be responsible for anything they do not cover.
Bandago sells a CDW package for all of our vans. The CDW we offer has a $2,500 deductible. This is due to the high value of our vehicles, and the need to make the CDW affordable (a zero deductible would result in a much higher price). The collision damage waiver does not cover the interior of the van, or it's contents (including: game console, video screens, games, etc.). Please double check and make sure that all doors are locked every time you leave the van, that no equipment is visible, all video screens are folded up, and that the van is securely parked. We recommend parking with the rear doors against a wall wherever possible. The collision damage waiver does not cover damage due to insufficient height or width clearances. So the rule for parking garages, fast food restaurants and other areas likely to have low lying roofs is simple: "When in doubt, stay out".
BandCrew is a sister company that provides professional Tour Managers to bands. All BandCrew employees are fully insured under a commercial grade policy that allows them to drive vans for touring productions. It is cheaper than purchasing a CDW and separate SLI for each driver, and also offers lower deductibles. If you already have a tour manager (or have a band member acting as a tour manager) we can easily get you enrolled in the BandCrew program. Please call us for more details or visit the BandCrew website: https://www.bandcrew.com.
We do not offer on-site parking for your car, and can not store your vehicle while you rent ours. However most of our locations have parking facilities located nearby. If you need parking during your rental please contact us and we will do our best to assist you in identifying a location nearby.
We are absolutely crazy about maintaining our vehicles, but we can't do it alone: we need your help! On longer rentals (one week or more) we require that all of our renters get a safety inspection and oil change every 10,000 miles (or earlier if indicated by the vehicle's computer). Renters who drive over this mileage limit without getting the required inspection risk additional fees.
Other things you should know:
- Sprinters require a little extra love and attention: Mercedes-Benz Sprinters periodically need a refill of DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid). This fluid helps make the Sprinter very low emission and is better for the environment. You will get a warning light when a refill is required. DEF is sold at most auto parts stores and is inexpensive and easy to refill. Keep your receipt and we will, of course, reimburse you for the fluid.
- Absolutely no stickers, graffiti, or any other kind of tag anywhere in or on the van are allowed. You will be charged an additional cleaning fee if this happens.
- Do not drive our vehicles on unpaved surfaces or off road. Do not take our vehicles into the desert (yes, this means Burning Man is forbidden! Sorry Burners we love you, but our van engines do not love that sand at all).
- Our vehicles are allowed in the US and Canada. They are not allowed in Mexico.
- Unfortunately for safety and liability reasons we do not supply snow chains and do not recommend you drive anywhere that requires snow chains. In the event of unexpected serious weather we advise you to stop and wait it out someplace safe. We also recommend that you avoid driving in areas prone to extreme snow storms (such as ski resorts). If you do use snow chains you do so at your own risk, and any damage the vehicle incurs as a result will be your sole responsibility.
We provide a video screen and video game console with DVD support, controllers, and wireless headphones in all of our vehicles as an amenity to our renters. We do everything in our power to make sure the entertainment system is in working order and every system is tested twice before every rental: once when the vehicle is returned, and again in your presence when you arrive to pick it up. If you find that something is not working properly during your rental, please contact us. We have found reported problems are often due to simple user error, or only require a quick fix. However if repairs are required we will do everything in our power to get it repaired, and will schedule a trip to the nearest technician as soon as your schedule permits. With that being said: Road vibrations, weather and even misuse can all lead to the entertainment system malfunctioning. Due to the fact that the typical malfunction is beyond our control we only offer repair and/or replacement at our expense, and do not offer discounts or other compensation due to entertainment system issues.
We provide power outlets for the game systems and your personal use. However please keep in mind that these do not supply unlimited power. If you plug too many devices, or devices which consume too much power into our outlets you will either blow a fuse or even the entire inverter. Keep an eye on how many cell phone chargers are plugged into the system, and make sure you disconnect them from the power supply if your phone is fully charged. Often we run into problems when 5 or 6 people have each of their cell phone chargers plugged in, and then they plug in a couple laptops and wonder why it stops working. Most of our vans supply at least 1000 watts of power. This should be more then enough for normal day to day use. As with our AV systems we do not offer discounts due to power inverter failure, nor are we responsible for damage to anything you connect to the inverter. We will schedule repair or replacement of any malfunctioning inverter on the next business day.
We have tested every brand on the shelf before settling on the Tom-Tom units we currently use. These GPS units provide substantially better service than the refurbished/propietary models you typically encounter at most rental car companies. On top of that we rent them for a fraction of what most rental companies charge. The nice thing about having a GPS unit is that you keep your hands free, there are no incoming calls or texts to disrupt the navigation, and don't have to worry about getting a ticket (driving while holding a cell phone is a $271 ticket in California!). Our customers who have rented our GPS units have raved about them, so if you want to have one during your rental make sure you let us know when you make your reservation.
We offer mobile Internet WI-FI with many of our vehicles. This is a service that charges a small fee for data, similar to what you find on airplanes and in hotels. While the feedback on this service has been very positive please note that mobile internet service is not 100% reliable, and internet speed can vary widely depending on your physical location. As a result we do not guarantee service, coverage, reception or speed, and do not offer discounts if there is any disruption in the service.
The wireless headphones and game controllers in our vehicles require AA batteries to operate. Installing brand new batteries with every rental would be environmentally (and financially) wasteful. As a result we do not supply new batteries with every rental, and encourage clients to bring their own AA batteries with them in case the batteries in the headphones or game controllers need replacement.
Should you ever need it, we have a 24 hour nationwide road service available to help you. The membership number and the 1-800 number are on your rental agreement. However please also call Bandago to let us know that you are having problems. We are very aggressive when it comes to making repairs, and we often have knowledge and experience that will get you rolling even before you get off the phone. So should you have any issues please contact us immediately at 1-866-868-7826 (866-TOURVAN) so we can help!
Every van has a spare tire. We do not allow you to self change the tire. You must call our tow service and have a tow truck driver come and change the tire. Please let our office know anytime you get a flat so we can arrange to have the spare replaced for you.
- Ford vans: It is located underneath the van towards the rear of the vehicle. There is a compartment in the rear wall of the van on the right hand side that contains a jack and a screw lever to lower the wheel. The hole to insert the screw lever is located just above the rear bumper near the intersection of the two rear doors. There is usually a plastic flap covering the hole that will need to be opened to access the wheel lowering mechanism.
- Mercedes vans: It is also located underneath the van towards the rear of the vehicle. The tools for the spare tire are underneath the floorboard in front of the passenger seat. Please note the spare tire for Sprinters often uses a different size of wheel bolt. These bolts, if required, are also found in the spare tire tool compartment. Make sure the tow truck driver is aware that the spare might require these specially sized wheel bolts, or they could wind up stripping the wheel hub, and that will cause you a long delay because the entire wheel hub will need to be re-threaded!
Our customers travel tens of millions of miles every year, and despite the extraordinary effort we put into vehicle maintenance, there are occasionally moments where maintenance or repairs will be necessary. Should a mechanical repair be necessary during the course of your rental, please be assured that we will pay or reimburse for all mechanical repairs, provided that the repair is not due to misuse of the vehicle, or collision with a foreign object. But you must call us and let us know what is going on so we can help you take care of it promptly. Repairs over $75 require our approval before they can be initiated (this is as much for your protection as ours: we've encountered some shady mechanics out there.).
You must follow our instructions regarding maintenance and repairs, regardless of the effect it may have on your schedule. Sorry, but safety comes first. Failure to follow our instructions voids our agreement, and any CDW we have provided you with, and may result in us reclaiming our vehicle at your cost. If we feel something is unsafe, we have the final word. Yes we care a tremendous amount about your schedule, probably more than any other vehicle rental company in the world, but we cannot knowingly allow anyone to compromise their safety (or anyone else's). Your life and your health are the most important things in our vehicles.
After hours: If your mechanical issue occurs after hours and we are closed, we have a 24 hour nationwide tow service that will tow the vehicle to the nearest mechanic (see the section above about Tow Service). In most places mechanics are all closed after 5pm anyways, so there isn't much anybody can do until the morning. Leave a message on our voicemail and we will help you first thing in the morning. Go to a hotel and get some sleep. Watch TV. Relax. Being stressed out isn't going to help. Wake up fresh in the morning and we will help you get moving as soon as possible.
In the event of a serious mechanical malfunction*: We will make every effort to get you back on the road as soon as possible. Should repairs require the vehicle stay at the repair shop overnight we will issue vouchers for up to two (2) hotel rooms at a convenient nearby hotel (note this must be cleared with us prior to booking the hotel room). In the event that repairs cannot be completed within two business days we will do one of two things:
- We will rush a Bandago replacement vehicle out to you.
- If no Bandago replacement vehicle is available we will do everything we can to help you find another vehicle from the closest suitable vehicle rental company. You will no longer be charged by Bandago starting on the day of the mechanical failure, we will close our rental agreement, and you will be able to leave the Bandago van at the repair shop and continue with your tour with the new vehicle rental company. You will be responsible for paying for the new rental vehicle and/or any other expenses you may incur once our rental agreement has been closed. We will cover all of the costs of recovering our vehicle and transporting it back to one of our locations. Please note that we cannot guarantee other vehicle rental companies will be able to match our rates, vehicle configuration, amenities or services.
We do not own teleportation devices. If you take the vehicle into the middle of the desert, deep into massive national parks, on camping trips to the boonies, or otherwise drive to locations far from mechanics and part supplies this will have a corresponding impact on our ability to get you moving quickly again if there is a problem. You assume this risk when traveling in remote, rural and/or isolated areas. We will still do everything we can to help you, but it can take longer to get repairs or parts, and we are not liable for expenses you may incur as a result of your travel to remote areas (this includes expenses such as gas, miles, lodging, etc not otherwise provided for in our standard agreement). We are not bad people because of it, there's just limits to what we can provide and still offer vehicles at a reasonable price. Please have realistic expectations.
Prohibited use of our vehicle violates our rental agreement, voids all liability and other insurance coverage, and makes vehicle subject to immediate recovery by Bandago.
We do not sell, offer, or include travel insurance with your rental, and do not provide coverage for anything other than our van. If you need travel insurance we are happy to refer you to a travel insurance provider. Like every other vehicle rental company in the world Bandago is never liable for consequential losses or damages (including lost revenue, wages, etc) due to vehicle downtime under any circumstances, even if the downtime is due to our own fault or neglect.
BEFORE RENTING A VAN AND ATTACHING A TRAILER, PLEASE REVIEW THE FOLLOWING:
- Trailer safety: Understanding Trailer Weight Safety
- Tow guide for Ford vans (E-350 and Transit): https://www.fordvehicles.com/towingguides/
- Wiring and connector guide: https://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx
You tow a trailer at your own risk!!! Trailers can make operating the vehicle more challenging. Furthermore it is almost impossible to find a replacement van with a tow hitch from another rental company on short notice if necessary. Most rental companies do not allow their vehicles to tow anything at all. We cannot guarantee that a replacement vehicle with a tow hitch will be available from another company if our vehicle breaks down and we are unable to provide a replacement from our fleet, and we are not responsible for any extra costs you may incur dealing with your trailer should this happen. This is why we always encourage groups to not travel with a trailer if possible.
Our nationwide tow provider (and most commercial tow operators) will not tow a vehicle with a trailer attached. If you require a tow you may have to leave the trailer behind unattended. So make sure you bring a tongue lock with you in case you need to leave your trailer behind.
We provide tow hitch receiver rentals as a convenience to our renters. We do not rent trailers, connect or install them for you, and we do not provide customer support for trailer issues. We provide the female receiver only. You will need to provide the ball mount, ball, and any other items required for your trailer.
We test our vehicles regularly (and before every rental requesting a trailer hitch) to make sure are wiring conforms to the most standard trailer wiring configuration. With that being said there are numerous different trailer wiring configurations and several different kinds of trailer connectors/adapters (see the wiring and connector guide above). We have no way to know if the van and tow receiver you are renting from us will work or fit with the specific trailer you are planning on using without requiring an adapter or wiring adjustments. To make matters worse, we have seen countless trailers that are wired improperly or are non-standard. It seems people just love messing with the wiring on these things - usually to get it to work with a vehicle that has a non-standard wiring, and then it never gets corrected. For this reason we do not guarantee the trailer harness wiring on our vehicle will work with your trailer. If the wiring on your trailer does not work with our vehicle you are welcome to call our office, and we will make every effort to help you, but we do not offer discounts due to any trailer wiring issues, and we do not pay for trailer wiring modifications. If you are planning on towing a trailer we strongly suggest that you budget extra time at the start of your rental to make sure your trailer functions properly with our vehicle.
We charge a modest additional fee to rent a trailer hitch and this fee is designed to cover the additional wear and tear on the brakes, transmission, and engine.
Bandago's CDW policy does not extend to your trailer, or any accident caused in part or in whole by your trailer. If you are towing a trailer, you tow at your own risk.
How we handle tickets and citations: The renter is responsible for all tickets, fines, fees, licenses, permits, taxes, or fines, required by or resulting from the renter's use or operation of the vehicle. We strongly urge our renters to pay all tickets etc., as they receive them. If we receive a ticket in the mail, we have one of the most generous policies in the vehicle rental industry: we will email you a notice with directions on how to pay the ticket yourself, with no extra charges from us. However if the ticket remains unpaid we will be forced to pay it ourselves (or our vehicle's registration will be at risk!). If this happens we will charge a $25 administration fee to pay the ticket on your behalf.
Do you have your own Transponder? Many of our renters would like to use their own toll transponder (EZ-pass, I-Pass, etc.). However please be aware: we have seen countless cases where the transponder signal was not picked up and a violation notice was then mailed out. Due to the length of time it takes the toll agencies to mail a violation to an out-of-state vehicle owner, and the time it takes us to process the citations, it can sometimes be impossible to get the violations reversed and/or assigned to the renter's account by the time we receive them. In some cases the ticketing authority just won't let us do it. Ultimately the renter is responsible for any fines they incur. So our first bit of advice is to just leave the transponder at home and pay the tolls as they happen. But if you really want to bring the transponder with you (and we completely understand if you do) then we recommend contacting the toll agency that provided you with the transponder and get specific instructions from them on how to proceed using your transponder with a rental vehicle. Some authorities will let you add a specific vehicle.
- Rental days are calculated in 24 hour increments (i.e. 20 hours = 1 day, 30 hours = 2 days).
- Every rental includes 250 miles per day of rental (i.e. a 5 day rental includes 1,250 miles). Additional miles are .35/mile
- Payment is due immediately upon completion of the rental and receipt of our final invoice.
- The renter who guaranteed the reservation with their credit card expressly authorizes Bandago to process the credit card for any and all charges due under the agreement unless other arrangements have been made in advance.
- If any errors are found each party shall promptly pay or credit the other, as appropriate, to correct the error.
- Rentals longer than two weeks will be charged once a week to avoid the current estimated balance due from getting too large. If the charge is declined and no payment is made we may ask you to return the vehicle.
- Payments more than 15 days late will be charged a 15% late payment penalty. Delinquent balances may be subject to additional legal and/or collection fees.
Tours of three days or less require a non-refundable deposit equal to one days rental. All other rentals require a 30% non-refundable deposit. Tours cancelled on the first day of the rental or afterwards will be charged for the entire reservation.
Fuel consumption is one of the biggest controllable expenses when you are on tour. Factors such as speed, tire pressure, and a clean air filter, can all have a very large impact on fuel consumption. For example there is a 20% difference in fuel consumption between 65mph and 80 mph. Over an entire tour this can translate into hundreds of dollars saved simply by driving the speed limit, and this also can greatly diminish the amount of carbon that is emitted into the atmosphere.
Tire pressure not only affects gas mileage, it affects safety. Check your tire pressure regularly. If you have questions regarding the proper pressure to inflate the tires, please call Bandago.
Wearing your seatbelt can reduce the odds of a fatality from 72% to 20%. Please wear your seatbelts at all times when the vehicle is moving!
According to the NHTSA, most rollovers are due to driver error. Please take a moment to familiarize yourself with these safety tips:
- Never drive when you are tired. Pull over and get some rest before driving.
- Always drive the speed limit.
- If you do find yourself drifting off the road avoid turning the wheel suddenly to get back on the road. Instead hold the wheel steady and gently slow down. When you have slowed down to a safe speed then you can then go back on the road. (most rollovers occur when people jerk the wheel to get back on the road, so this is important!!!)
- Please make sure there are no cans, cups, or other debris near the feet of the driver.
- Poor weather, ice, and bad weather conditions are inherently dangerous in any vehicle. When in doubt, pull over and wait for conditions to improve.
For more information on preventing rollovers and safe driving please visit the Safer Car website.
In the event of an accident, no matter how large or small, we require that you notify us immediately. We will provide you with an accident report form, which must be completely filled out and and either emailed or faxed back to us at 1-415-401-7659.
- Bandago will deliver or pickup anywhere in the continental USA. We're good like that. :-)
- Delivery fees are inclusive of all costs, including driver pay, per diem, fuel, return airfare, tolls, taxi's, hotel, vehicle depreciation, and all other incidental expenses.
- Deliveries must be scheduled at least a week in advance so we can make sure we have staff available to handle your needs. Rush deliveries may be charged an additional expediting fee.
- Deliveries are made within delivery windows (anywhere from one hour to three hour windows). Due to traffic and other elements of delivery beyond our control, we cannot guarantee a specific delivery time.
Bandago Van Rental Headquarters