Bandago Rental Policies
Anybody who plans on driving our vehicles must bring the following:
- A valid Driver’s License for all drivers
- All drivers must be 25 years of age or older
- Maximum 4 drivers per rental
- Underage drivers can be approved by Bandago with an additional fee
- The physical card you used to book the rental
- Cardholder must present Identification matching name and address**
- Pre-paid (“Pay Now”) rentals must bring the card used for pre-payment at time of booking
- Non Pre-paid rentals can update to a new card at pick up with cardholder present and identification matching name and address.
- All rentals must be paid in full (up to the first $1k) in order to start the rental
- Evidence of Auto Liability and Collision insurance coverage
- Liability (RLP and SLI) and Collision Waiver (CDW) coverage can be purchased through Bandago at time of pickup.
- Your cell phone
- Bandago uses E-signature Rental Agreements sent via text to each driver’s phone number on file.
** For cardholders who cannot be present at the time of pick up, Bandago offers a Credit Card Authorization process but this must be requested and approved by our Sales team at least 24 hours prior to pick up of the rental.
To save time at pickup: Reply to your confirmation email with a picture of your license, and proof of automotive liability and collision insurance via your declarations page. You can also send them directly to [email protected].com with your reservation number as the subject line. Questions? Send us an email at [email protected], or give our sales team a call at 866-868-7826.
- Bandago requires a minimum deposit of $100 to reserve a vehicle
- One-way rentals and rentals with Delivery/Pick up service require a 30% deposit.
- Bandago accepts all major credit and debit cards
- Bandago does not accept Pre-paid cards (cards not connected to a checking or credit account)
- At the time of rental, the physical card must be presented with identification for the cardholder matching the name and address.
- Cards with a printed business name on the front do not need to match the address on ID
- The signature on the back must match the name imprinted on the card and the signature on the rental agreement.
- All rentals must be paid in full (up to the first $1k) in order to start the rental
- Bandago bills on a 24-hour cycle, with a one-hour grace period.
- Rentals a week or more in length will automatically incur mid-rental payments to bring the balance up to date
- Fuel at start will be marked on your rental agreement. You have the option to pre-purchase a full tank of gas at below-market rates upon pickup. Otherwise, vehicles returned with less fuel than provided at the start will be charged $9.99 per gallon to refuel.
- The person who guaranteed the reservation with their card expressly authorizes Bandago to process the payment card for any and all charges due under the agreement, unless other arrangements have been made in advance.
|Cancellation / No-Show Rules||Cancellation Fee|
|Cancel within 24 hours of booking||No Fee|
|Non Pre-Paid Reservations||$100.00|
|One-Way Rentals & Deliveries||30% (see note below)|
All About Insurance
Bandago requires all clients to provide both liability (damage to others) and collision (damage to our vehicle) insurance for all rentals, either using their personal or commercial insurance, Bandago’s insurance products or a combination of both.
Bandago offers the following insurance options for purchase:
- Renter’s Liability Protection (RLP) provides primary liability coverage to the renter, up to the state’s required statutory minimums.
- Supplemental Liability Insurance (SLI) provides supplemental liability insurance coverage of up to $1,000,000 to the renter, in excess of the primary liability policy’s coverage limit. May be used to supplement Bandago’s RLP or the renter’s own insurance for secondary coverage.
- Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) protects you from responsibility for collision damage to the rental vehicle, regardless of who is at fault. Bandago’s Collision Damage Waiver has a $2,500 deductible.
- Personal Accident Insurance (PAI) provides an accidental death benefit in the event of an extreme accident. PAI is combined with Personal Effects Coverage (PEC) which provides theft insurance for certain personal effects while on rental.
For-Hire (i.e. Limousines, shuttles, etc) companies and K-12 schools transporting students for school-related activities need to provide their own proof of coverage and cannot buy coverage through Bandago. Please check with your insurance agent to make sure you have the appropriate coverage for your rental.
Credit Card Coverage for Collision
Most credit cards offering “car rental collision coverage” typically have a 8 passenger limit, meaning they will not apply to any Bandago vehicles. Clients wishing to use their Credit Card as proof of collision coverage must submit documentation that they have specific coverage for 15 passenger vehicles.
Collision Damage Waiver Policy:
- The Customer is responsible for all collision damage resulting from insufficient height or width clearances and the first $2500 in damage.
- CDW does not cover negligence such as misfueling the vehicle or damage from unauthorized usage
- Collision damage waiver may duplicate existing coverage.
- Purchase of a collision damage waiver is not mandatory
- The collision damage waiver is not insurance.
We do not offer on-site parking for your car, and can not store your vehicle while you rent ours (there are time where we don’t have enough parking for OUR vehicles!). However most of our locations have parking facilities located nearby. If you need parking during your rental please contact us and we will do our best to assist you in identifying a location nearby.
- Mercedes-Benz Sprinters require a little extra love and attention: Besides regularly filling the van up with diesel fuel, Sprinters also need refills of DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid). DEF is responsible for keeping emissions low, which makes the Sprinter a better choice for the environment. DEF is sold at most auto parts stores and truck stops/gas stations. It’s inexpensive and easy to refill. At the start of your rental, we’ll make sure DEF is topped off and show you how to refill. Like diesel fuel, DEF is not a reimbursable expense.
- Absolutely no stickers, graffiti, or any other kind of tag anywhere in or on the van are allowed. You will be charged an additional cleaning fee if this happens.
- Do not drive our vehicles on unpaved surfaces or off road. If you are planning on going to Burning Man please see our Burning Man policy
- Our vehicles are allowed in the US and Canada. They are not allowed in Mexico.
- Unfortunately for safety and liability reasons we do not supply snow chains and do not recommend you drive anywhere that requires snow chains. In the event of unexpected serious weather we advise you to stop and wait it out someplace safe. We also recommend that you avoid driving in areas prone to extreme snow storms (such as ski resorts). If you do use snow chains you do so at your own risk, and any damage the vehicle incurs as a result will be your sole responsibility.
In some vehicles we provide a video screen and video game console with DVD support, controllers, and wireless headphones in many of our vehicles as an amenity to our renters. If your vehicle has an in-van entertainment system we will do everything in our power to make sure it is in working order. Every system is tested twice before every rental: once when the vehicle is returned, and again in your presence when you arrive to pick it up. If you find that something is not working properly during your rental, please contact us. We have found reported problems are often due to simple user error, or only require a quick fix. However if repairs are required we will do everything in our power to get it repaired, and we will schedule a trip to the nearest technician at your earliest convenience. With that being said: road vibrations, weather and even misuse can all contribute to the entertainment system malfunctioning. Due to the fact that the typical malfunction is beyond our control we only offer repair and/or replacement of the system at our expense, and we do not offer discounts or other compensation due to entertainment system malfunctions.
We provide power outlets for the game systems and for personal use of small electronic items (cell phone chargers, laptops, etc). However please keep in mind that these do not supply unlimited power. If you plug in too many devices, or devices which consume too much power, you will either blow a fuse, or damage the power inverter. As with our AV systems we do not offer discounts due to power inverter failure, nor are we responsible for damage to anything you connect to the inverter. You are responsible for the cost of replacing any fuse, or damage as a result of exceeding the vehicle’s power capacity.
Headphone and Game Controller Batteries
The wireless headphones and game controllers in our vehicles require AA batteries to operate. Installing brand new batteries with every rental would be environmentally (and financially) wasteful. As a result we do not supply new batteries with every rental, and encourage clients to bring their own AA batteries with them in case the batteries in the headphones or game controllers need replacement.
Should you ever need it, we have a 24 hour nationwide road service available to help you. The membership number and the 1-800 number are on your rental agreement. However please also call Bandago to let us know that you are having problems. We are very aggressive when it comes to making repairs, and we often have knowledge and experience that will get you rolling even before you get off the phone. So should you have any issues please contact us immediately at 1-866-868-7826 (866-TOURVAN) so we can help!
Every van has a spare tire. We do not allow you to self change the tire. You must call our tow service and have a tow truck driver come and change the tire. Please let our office know anytime you get a flat so we can arrange to have the spare replaced for you.
- Ford vans: It is located underneath the van towards the rear of the vehicle. There is a compartment in the rear wall of the van on the right hand side that contains a jack and a screw lever to lower the wheel. The hole to insert the screw lever is located just above the rear bumper near the intersection of the two rear doors. There is usually a plastic flap covering the hole that will need to be opened to access the wheel lowering mechanism.
- Mercedes vans: It is also located underneath the van towards the rear of the vehicle. The tools for the spare tire are underneath the floorboard in front of the passenger seat. Please note the spare tire for Sprinters often uses a different size of wheel bolt. These bolts, if required, are also found in the spare tire tool compartment. Make sure the tow truck driver is aware that the spare might require these specially sized wheel bolts, or they could wind up stripping the wheel hub, and that will cause you a long delay because the entire wheel hub will need to be re-threaded!
Our customers travel tens of millions of miles every year, and despite the extraordinary effort we put into vehicle maintenance, there are occasionally moments where maintenance or repairs will be necessary. Should a mechanical repair be necessary during the course of your rental, please be assured that we will pay or reimburse for all mechanical repairs, provided that the repair is not due to misuse of the vehicle, or collision with a foreign object. But you must call us and let us know what is going on so we can help you take care of it promptly. Repairs over $75 require our approval before they can be initiated (this is as much for your protection as ours: we’ve encountered some shady mechanics out there.).
You must follow our instructions regarding maintenance and repairs, regardless of the effect it may have on your schedule. Sorry, but safety comes first. Failure to follow our instructions voids our agreement, and any CDW we have provided you with, and may result in us reclaiming our vehicle at your cost. If we feel something is unsafe, we have the final word. Yes we care a tremendous amount about your schedule, probably more than any other vehicle rental company in the world, but we cannot knowingly allow anyone to compromise their safety (or anyone elses). Your life and your health are the most important things in our vehicles.
After hours: If your mechanical issue occurs after hours and we are closed, we have a 24 hour nationwide tow service that will tow the vehicle to the nearest mechanic (see the section above about Tow Service). In most places mechanics are all closed after 5pm anyways, so there isn’t much anybody can do until the morning. Leave a message on our voicemail and we will help you first thing in the morning. Go to a hotel and get some sleep. Watch TV. Relax. Being stressed out isn’t going to help. Wake up fresh in the morning and we will help you get moving as soon as possible.
In the event of a serious mechanical malfunction*: We will make every effort to get you back on the road as soon as possible. Should repairs require the vehicle stay at the repair shop overnight we will issue vouchers for up to two (2) hotel rooms at a convenient nearby hotel (note this must be cleared with us prior to booking the hotel room). In the event that repairs cannot be completed within two business days we will do one of two things:
- We will rush a Bandago replacement vehicle out to you.
- If no Bandago replacement vehicle is available we will do everything we can to help you find another vehicle from the closest suitable vehicle rental company. You will no longer be charged by Bandago starting on the day of the mechanical failure, we will close our rental agreement, and you will be able to leave the Bandago van at the repair shop and continue with your tour with the new vehicle rental company. You will be responsible for paying for the new rental vehicle and/or any other expenses you may incur once our rental agreement has been closed. We will cover all of the costs of recovering our vehicle and transporting it back to one of our locations. Please note that we cannot guarantee other vehicle rental companies will be able to match our rates, vehicle configuration, amenities or services.
Remote & Rural areas, International Travel
We do not own teleportation devices. If you take your vehicle into the middle of the desert, deep into massive national parks, high into mountain ranges, way out to the boonies, or otherwise drive to locations far from major metropolitan areas, mechanics, parts, and tow trucks this will have a corresponding effect on our ability to get you moving quickly again if there is a problem. You assume this risk when traveling to remote, rural and/or isolated areas. We will still do everything we can to help you, but it will likely take longer to get repairs and/or parts. We are not liable for additional expenses you may incur as a result of your travel to remote areas (this includes expenses such as gas, miles, lodging, etc not otherwise provided for in our standard agreement). We are not bad people because of it, there’s just limits to what we can provide and still offer vehicles for rent at a reasonable price. Please have realistic expectations.
Prohibited use of our vehicle violates our rental agreement, voids all liability and other insurance coverage, and makes vehicle subject to immediate recovery by Bandago.
We do not sell, offer, or include travel insurance with your rental, and do not provide coverage for anything other than our van. If you need travel insurance we are happy to refer you to a travel insurance provider. Like every other vehicle rental company in the world Bandago is never liable for consequential losses or damages (including lost revenue, wages, etc) due to vehicle downtime under any circumstances, even if the downtime is due to our own fault or neglect.
You tow a trailer at your own risk!
Bandago Towing OptionsWe provide vans with class III tow hitches and 2″ receivers. There is an additional fee to use the tow hitch. We do not rent trailers! You must provide the trailer, as well as the ball and pin to connect to the tow hitch. We offer tow hitches on the following models:
- Sprinter Executive – 7 pin connector, max towing capacity: 4,000 lbs
- Sprinter Grand – 7 pin connector, max towing capacity: 4,000 lbs
- Sprinter Deluxe – 7 pin connector, max towing capacity: 4,000 lbs
- Sprinter Bench – 7 pin connector, max towing capacity: 4,000 lbs
- Ford Transit Medium Roof – 4 pin blade or 7 pin connector*, max towing capacity: 3,6000 lbs
- Ford Transit Low Roof – 4 pin blade or 7 pin connector*, max towing capacity: 3,6000 lbs
- Sprinter 15 Passenger – this model does NOT have a tow hitch
- You are towing a trailer at your own risk!
- Our collision damage waiver does not extend to your trailer, or any accident caused by your trailer.
- We do not rent trailers, and we do not connect or install them for you.
- Our hitches DO NOT PROVIDE REAR BRAKE ASSIST nor can we add this feature to the vehicle.
- We test the hitch wiring using a trailer light tester before every rental with a tow hitch, and confirm it meets the requirements for standard trailer wiring. If your trailer is not wired properly to meet this standard we will try to help, but we are not responsible for any changes, modifications, or repairs you need to make to your trailer.
- Trailers can make operating the vehicle more challenging. Make sure you are familiar with how to drive a van towing a trailer, and always keep the weight of cargo in the trailer distributed towards the front of the vehicle.
- We are one of the VERY FEW rental companies that allow you a van to tow a trailer. Should something happen to your van OR trailer during your rental, and we are unable to provide a replacement, it may be difficult to find another vehicle for rent that allows towing. We are not responsible for any extra costs you may incur should this happen
- Our nationwide tow provider (and most commercial tow operators) will not tow a vehicle with a trailer attached. If you require a tow you may have to leave the trailer behind unattended. So make sure you bring a tongue lock with you in case you need to leave your trailer behind.
- We provide a hitch, and guarantee that it is wired properly. We do not offer discounts or reimbursements due to any other trailer issues.
Tickets, Tolls & Transponders
Tickets and citations
The renter is responsible for all tickets, fines, fees, licenses, permits, taxes, or fines, required by or resulting from the renter’s use or operation of the vehicle. We strongly urge our renters to pay all tolls and violations as they generate them. We charge an administrative fee per transaction if we have to pay a toll or violation on your behalf (it’s not optional for us: if we don’t pay the toll our vehicle can be impounded).
Are you certain you generated a toll or violation?
We highly recommend visiting the website of the agency, and paying the toll before any late fees or additional charges are assessed. In some cases this can result in dramatically reduced charges if you pay within 72 hours.
We do not provide Transponders!
Our vehicles travel all over the country, often on one-ways. There are numerous different transponder systems. There is no practical way for us to maintain transponder accounts, and put transponders in our vehicles. Every vehicle would have to have several transponders and that is not practical to manage across a nationwide fleet.
Do you have your own Transponder?
Many of our renters like to use their own toll transponder (EZ-pass, Fastrak, I-Pass, etc.). However please be aware: it is fairly common for the transponder signal to not be picked up, resulting in a violation being generated. So our first bit of advice is to just leave the transponder at home and pay the tolls as they happen, and that way you can be certain all violations are paid for. That’s also the most secure way to be certain the violations are assigned to your transponder account. But if you really want to bring the transponder with you (and we understand if you do) then we strongly recommend double checking to make sure the transponder was activated every time you go through a toll, and if it doesn’t activate then you should take steps to make sure the violation is paid for.
To pay a violation or assign it to your transponder account you will need to contact the toll agency that provided you with the transponder and get specific instructions from them on how to assign the violation to your account. We provide the license plate number on your rental agreement, so you can even follow up with them after your trip. Most agencies will let you pay a toll for a rental vehicle online using your transponder account provided you follow up quickly enough. Some authorities will even let you add a specific vehicle if you are going to be in the same one for a while. The difficulty level does vary by agency. Obviously we can’t control how the tolling agencies run their operations, and we completely get how frustrating it is that they aren’t more accommodating, but we’re stuck in the middle here: if the violation isn’t paid we can wind up having our vehicle impounded.
I just got a notice from a rental I had a lonnnnng time ago. What’s up with that?
We often don’t receive notices from tolling agencies until months (and in some cases years) after the rental completed. Some agencies don’t mail any notices at all until there are three or more violations on the vehicle. Other agencies send their out-of-state vehicle violations to a separate department that is usually severely backlogged, so we won’t get the notice in a timely manner. We are just as frustrated as you about this, but you are still liable for any violations you incurred during the rental, no matter how long ago they were.
Any client wishing to extend their reservation during the rental must call Bandago Headquarters and have such extension authorized. The entire estimated balance for the updated reservation will be charged before the extension is approved.
Tips For Smarter Driving
Fuel consumption is one of the biggest controllable expenses when you are on tour. Factors such as speed, tire pressure, and a clean air filter, can all have a very large impact on fuel consumption. For example there is a 20% difference in fuel consumption between 65mph and 80 mph. Over an entire tour this can translate into hundreds of dollars saved simply by driving the speed limit, and this also can greatly diminish the amount of carbon that is emitted into the atmosphere.
Tire pressure not only affects gas mileage, it affects safety. Check your tire pressure regularly. If you have questions regarding the proper pressure to inflate the tires, please call Bandago.
Wearing your seatbelt can reduce the odds of a fatality from 72% to 20%. Please wear your seat belts at all times when the vehicle is moving!
According to the NHTSA, most rollovers are due to driver error. Please take a moment to familiarize yourself with these safety tips:
- Never drive when you are tired. Pull over and get some rest before driving.
- Always drive the speed limit.
- If you do find yourself drifting off the road avoid turning the wheel suddenly to get back on the road. Instead hold the wheel steady and gently slow down. When you have slowed down to a safe speed then you can then go back on the road. (most rollovers occur when people jerk the wheel to get back on the road, so this is important!!!)
- Please make sure there are no cans, cups, or other debris near the feet of the driver.
- Poor weather, ice, and bad weather conditions are inherently dangerous in any vehicle. When in doubt, pull over and wait for conditions to improve.
For more information on preventing rollovers and safe driving please visit the Safer Car website.
In the event of an accident, no matter how large or small, we require that you notify us immediately. We will provide you with an accident report form, which must be completely filled out and and either emailed or faxed back to us at 1-415-401-7659.
Bandago proudly offers the ability to deliver and retrieve your van. In order to qualify for delivery, your reservation must meet the following criteria.
- Deliveries and or Pick Ups must be scheduled at least two weeks in advance.
- Deliveries and or Pick Ups must occur on weekdays between 11am and 3pm.
- Reservations requesting delivery or pick up to a location 1 to 100 miles from a Bandago location must be at least 3 or more days in length.
- Reservations requesting delivery or pickup to a location 101 to 600 miles from a Bandago location must be at least 7 or more days.
Due to traffic and other elements of delivery beyond our control, we cannot guarantee a specific delivery time. Fees are inclusive of all costs including driver pay, per diem, fuel, return airfare, tolls, taxi’s, hotels, vehicle depreciation, and all other incidental expenses.
If your reservation qualifies, please give us a call at 866-868-7826 option 1 to discuss the possibility of delivery or retrieval of your Bandago van!
For Hire Reservation Requirements
At Bandago, we love working with Limousine and Livery companies. We also love partnering with local businesses like Wine Tasting Tours, Experiential Travel Companies, and even Long Distance Bicycle Tours. However, when renting a Bandago van to transport your passengers for hire, Bandago is forced by Federal and local State mandates to require that these companies and other organizations to have at least $1 million in automotive liability insurance, $1.5 million in the state of California.
Bandago defines For Hire Reservations as:
- Limousine Service
- Livery Service
- Transportation Provider
- Wine Tasting Tours
- Adventure Travel Tours
- Bicycle Tours
- Security Detail
- Professional Driving Service
Bandago is unable to offer in house automotive insurance coverage to replace this requirement. If you do not meet our requirements, we will gladly offer a full refund of your deposit. Please reach out to our team if you have any questions at 866-868-7826.
Grade 1-12 Public or Private School Transportation
Are you planning a trip for an Elementary, Middle or Junior High, or High School team or club?
Please make note that our vans do not meet Federal Bus Safety Standards and can not be used to transport children in the twelfth grade or younger for school related functions.
Q: May schools purchase or lease new 15-passenger vans?
NHTSA: The Safety Act (SAFETEA-LU) prohibits a school or school system from purchasing or leasing a new 15-passenger van if it will be used significantly by or on behalf of the school or school system to transport pre primary, primary, or secondary school students to or from school or related events, unless the van complies with FMVSSs prescribed for school buses or MFSABs (multi-function school activity buses). A school in violation of this requirement may be subject to substantial civil penalties under the Safety Act.
Non-conforming Vans Used for School Transportation
School buses, including multifunction school activity buses (MFSABs) provide significantly safer alternatives to the use of non-conforming, full-size vans for transporting school students. The following NASDPTS Position Paper, “Non-conforming Vans Used for School Transportation” provides information on the legal and risk management liabilities of using non-conforming vans in lieu of school buses for transporting students and recommends against such use.
Non-conforming Vans Used for School Transportation
Public schools, public and private charter schools, and private schools are sometimes unaware of regulations and safety requirements affecting student transportation. Therefore, NASDPTS further recommends that state and local student transportation officials, state associations, insurance companies, van manufacturers, automobile dealers, and rental car companies fully inform schools regarding federal and state regulations prohibiting and recommending against the purchase and use of full-size vans to transport students and regarding the related safety liabilities.
If you need hand controls due to disability, no problem, we’ll take care of you. Please make sure you let us know at least 72 hours in advance so we can make sure that the unit is present and that staff will be prepared. Bandago uses the PHC-3 Hand Control.
Burning Man is a popular event held in the Black Rock Desert in Nevada. While we do rent vans for use at Burning Man, we have special requirements that must be met to book your reservation:
- You must call us to book your Burning Man van rental. You cannot book online.
- Ford Transit Medium Roof vans are the ONLY vehicles we allow to be used for Burning Man. Sprinters are NOT allowed.
- Burning Man rentals require a $500 cleaning deposit.
- Payment for the entire rental is required in advance.
- Roadside Assistance is not included, but can be purchased for $150. Otherwise you are financially responsible for any roadside assistance that might be needed.